Tikha (spicy) gathia is popular Gujarati household snack made from gram flour (Besan). It is perfect snack while traveling, well for kid’s lunch box and Diwali dish. It is one of the ingredients in the different mixtures (chewdas). It is crunchy and spicy as you can add spice according to your taste. Let’s learn Spicy, crunchy tikha gathia:
- Chick pea flour (Gram Flour or Besan) – 1 cup
- Ajwain seeds (carom seeds) – 1 tbsp
- Oil- 2 tbsp for dough and for deep fry
- Amchur (khattai) powder- 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- All masala(Spice)- 1tbsp red chilly powder, 1 tbsp dhanajeera(coriander-cumin) powder, 1tbsp Haldi(turmeric)
- Garam masala- 1tbsp
- Water- as needed
Method for making Tikha gathia:
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients except frying oil.
- Add water to make smooth dough.
- Grease the dough with little oil
- Use your sev (seviya) machine with thick sev mould (comes with big holes)
- Place dough in this sev machine (You should know how to use handy sev machine)
- Heat the oil in a pan. To check oil is hot enough to fry, drop pinch of dough in it and if it rises to the surface then oil is enough hot to make gathia
- Move the machine in a circular motion over oil and fry on medium heat until it turns light brown.
- Drain it on a paper towel.
- Let it cool down and store in airtight container, it will stay fresh for 3-4 weeks.