Cilantro Green Chutney
You can serve this green chutney (Hari chutney) with Chaat, Khaman, Patra, dahiwadi, Batatawada, Beetroot paratha, ragda patties etc. Green chutney can be served as spread, dip and condiment. I have included various variation in the green chutney with coriander (cilantro), mint and tomatoes.
Ingredients for Green fresh cilantro chutney with Peanuts:
- 1 bunch of washed, chopped cilantro (coriander- 2 cups)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or to taste
- 1 tbsp raw peanuts (Skinned)
- 1 tsp sugar or to taste
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 2-3 green chillies or to taste (or 1 jalapeno)
- 2 clove garlic-optional
- 2-3 small pieces of ginger-optional
- 1 tsp cumin seeds-optional
- 1 tsp water
Variations in Green chutneys:
Cilantro chutney without peanuts and sugar recipe: Generally I don’t use peanuts because of high calorie. So instead of peanuts and sugar you can add 1 tbsp of Sour curd (yogurt). It keeps chutney dark green.2
Cilantro chutney with Coconut: Instead of peanuts and sugar, add 1 tbsp of coconut while blending.
- Green Mint-coriander chutney: Add 1/2 cup of fresh mint and omit peanuts and sugar in the above mentioned ingredients to make fresh coriander mint chutney.
- green/red tomato-onion chutney recipe: Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan, add 4 green/red tomatoes, 2 slices onions, 3 clove garlic, 3-green chillies,1 tbsp cumin seeds. Saute for 5 minutes and then blend it with salt and 1 tbsp of water in a blender to make puree/paste. You can temper it with oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and a pinch of hing, urad dal and curry leaves but it is optional. Serve with Idli/Dosa.
- Cilantro chutney with Dadiya dal(roasted chana-futana) or Bhavnagari gathiya instead of peanuts in the above mentioned ingredients to make fresh green chutney.
- green chilli chutney: blend 10 green chillies in a blender along with 1/2 cup of chopped, washed coriander, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp black pepper, salt to taste and 1 tbsp water. For tempering, Heat a 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, add 1 tsp mustard seeds,a pinch of hing,, 1 tsp splitted urad dal. Saute for 2 minutes and add to the green chilli blend paste. This hot and tangy chutney can be served as a spread on bread to make cheese sandwich and chaat food