Nan khatai recipe
Here is an easy and quick image tutorial to make nankhatai at home with different variations such as pistachio, kesar-pista, almonds or chocolate Nan khatai. The majority work is done by my nine year old girl except handling the oven. It is fun for kids to make their own cookies.
1) 1 cup all purpose flour (Maida)
2) ½ cup sugar
3) ½ cup unsalted butter (1 rectangle 8 oz cube out of 4)
4) ½ tsp salt (to your taste)
5) ¼ tsp Baking soda
6) Optional: ½ tsp cardamom powder (elaichi) and saffron strands soaked in 2 tbsp of warm milk
6) Optional: raisin chocolate, kesar(saffron), Pistachios, cardamom powder(elaichi) for Garnishing
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients. Butter should be at room temperature but not completely melted. Kneed the dough for 5 minutes.
- Keep dough in a Ziploc bag for ½ an hour.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven at 350 Degrees F
- Make small size of balls and keep in a greased backing tray same as shown in the image. Keep distance between the balls because they will be raised upon the baking.
- Garnish with pistachios or chocolate on top. My daughter likes chocolate so I’ve added raisin chocolate.
- Now place cookie tray in a oven for 25 minutes.
- Let it cool down on a rack, in a picture, you can see I’ve used my conventional oven rack.
- Store in a airtight container.