Khaman Dhokla Recipe
- 1 cup chickpea flour (Besan or chana no lot)
- ½ tbsp salt (as per your taste)
- ½ tbsp citric acid ( limbu na ful)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 cup water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 chopped green chilies (as per your taste)
- ½ tbsp mustard seeds
- pinch of Hing (asafoetida)
- chopped coriander and 3-5 curry leaves(optional)
- ½ tbsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds(white til)
Direction/Step by step guide to make Khaman:
1) Mix 1cup of water, salt, 2 tbsp sugar, citric acid in a bowl. Add 1 cup of flour (besan) and make a batter. Mix well to avoid lumps.
2) Now add baking soda and stir until besan color turns into light yellow. You will see batter now will be double in the quantity.
3) Meanwhile boil water in the presser cooker (or use Dhokla or Idly stand). Grease one metal vessel and pour batter into this vessel.
4) Put this vessel into the cooker or big pan with boiling water. If you are using Presser cooker then remove whistle.
5) Steam it on a High temperature for 5 minutes. Let it cool down for 2 minutes and open cooker. To check weather it is cooked well, place edge of knife and if batter won’t stick means it is cooked.
6) Now take dish or vessel out and cut into cubes.
7) For Tempering: Take 1/2 cup of water and add 2-3 tbsp of sugar. Stir it well so sugar will dissolved properly.
8) Heat 2 tbsp oil and add mustard seeds. As seeds starts crackling , add hing, green chilies, sesame seeds and curry leaves and keep for a minute. This is called “Tadka” or “Vaghar”
9) Add this tadka into Sugar water. Sprinkle (pour) this water over Khaman cubes and garnish with chopped coriander. Serve with green chutney.